Chiropractic & Immune System | Bergen Family Chiropractic | Hackensack, NJ

The Link Between The Immune System And Chiropractic Care

Your body’s immune system is responsible for your overall health. It is responsible for fighting off cancers, viruses, toxins, and the more common things like colds. Your body’s response even to something as small as a paper cut relies on a properly functioning immune system as well as the central nervous system.

Immune system disorders can hinder your body’s ability to properly handle a non-threatening foreign substance such as pet dander or pollen. When your body’s immune system is not functioning properly it can overreact and release chemicals, such as histamine, when sensing an allergen. Another common condition in which the immune system overreacts is asthma. In this instance, the overactive immune system causes inflammation in the airways (bronchi) in the lungs. The resulting constrictions can make breathing difficult.

Autoimmune diseases occur when your immune system responses to an unknown trigger. Your body’s immune system starts producing antibodies that attack the body’s own tissues instead of fighting infections. A few examples of autoimmune diseases are: Graves’ Disease, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Lupus, and Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

Immune deficiency diseases occur when you immune system is not strong enough to fight off infections, doesn’t react strongly enough to stave off disease, or possibly due to an immune system already suppressed by medications or an existing illness. In some cases, immune deficiency may be present from birth due to a genetic disorder (primary immune deficiency). Either way, your body is now more vulnerable to disease and infections. Examples of Immune Deficiency Diseases include: AIDS / HIV, Common Variable Immune Deficiency (CVID), Drug-Induced Immune Deficiency, and Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID).

An optimally functioning immune system goes to what the core of chiropractic care is all about. While many associate pain with chiropractic care, remember pain only involves 10% of your nervous system. The other 90% is extremely important. That 90% is associated with all the functions of your body: breathing, digesting food, the function of your internal organs, the control of your muscles (voluntary and involuntary), your immune system, and everything else. Everything is controlled through your central nervous system which start at your brain, runs down through your spine, and from there throughout your entire body.

Your brain needs to know exactly what is wrong with your body so it can instruct your immune system to properly respond. Your central nervous system needs to provide unrestricted and unfiltered information your brain can respond to. How well your immune system reacts – or doesn’t react – to infections, disease, or any other foreign substance invading your body is based entirely on what your brain instructs it to do. The directions from your brain to your immune system are only as good as the information the brain receives.

When your brain receives partial information, bad information, or even no information, your immune system will not respond properly. Your immune system’s response could be too weak, too strong, or even attack healthy tissues in the case of autoimmune diseases. Your body will be more vulnerable to cancers, infections, allergy attacks, diseases, and other attacks by foreign substances.

Misalignments, or subluxations, in the spine will cause poor communication between your brain and your immune system. Subluxations can create pressure on, irritate, or even pinch the nerves in your spine. This restricts the free-flow of information regarding your body to your brain. Chiropractors restore that broken communication, through gentle adjustments that properly align your vertebrae, and allow your body to take better care of itself. With a properly functioning central nervous system your immune system will be better equipped to defend your body from disease and infection. Anyone striving to be healthy should be seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis. It is the best way to ensure a healthy immune system. You should consult with your chiropractor to see how often your lifestyle requires your body to be adjusted.

To arrange an appointment at Bergen Family Chiropractic Center, call us at 201-343-8282 or use the convenient appointment form. If you have friends or family that would like to gain a better understanding of chiropractic care, please recommend this article to them.

About the Author Dr. Richard Santucci

Leave a Comment: